Which Ecommerce Site Builder Offers the Best Integrations?
Ecommerce sites have changed the way people sell online and you’re likely already familiar with many of the best online store builders. We compare some of the biggest Ecommerce site builders, and take a look at their integration options for the biggest shopping portals, in order to help you choose the right one for your specific needs.
While the Ecommerce site builder market has a number of big names competing for business, BigCommerce and Volusion stand out. They are both reputable brands and have been growing rapidly. They’ve also both recently updated their offerings, themes, and overall user experiences.
Pros and Cons of Each Brand
In general, Volusion is easier and cheaper to get started, while BigCommerce provides more value in the long run. BigCommerce’s entry level plan starts at $29.95 a month, which is double Volusion’s starter package of $15. Having said that, BigCommerce’s most basic offering includes unlimited products, file storage, bandwidth, and staff accounts, while Volusion limits you to 100 products and 1GB of bandwidth on its entry-level package. BigCommerce also has sales limits that specify which plan you should use, and it should be noted that with Volusion, you’ll have to buy an SSL certificate for $89 for a year.
When it comes to support, BigCommerce offers phone support across all of its packages, while Volusion offers online support for its basic product, increasing this to telephone support from its “plus” package.
In order to accurately compare features across the two brands, we’ll compare their mid-range, recommended packages.
|Price per month|
|Zero transaction fees|
|eBay + Amazon integration|
|Abandoned cart reports|
*Prices last updated January 2018
BigCommerce integrates with eBay, Amazon, Google Shopping, Square, and Facebook. It also offers custom buy buttons for integrations with blogs and emails. Volusion integrates with eBay, Amazon, and Google shopping and offers an API that lets third parties work with you and your store.
Integration with Amazon
With BigCommerce, you can list your products on Amazon directly from the control panel, with centralized inventory, order processing, and fulfillment. Publishing is straightforward, with bulk listing included and streamlined error handling for increased efficiency. There is also easy integration with Amazon Pay, which simplifies customer journeys and results in increased conversions for Amazon customers.
With Volusion, all you have to do is connect your Amazon professional seller account to your Volusion store. You can choose to tie them to listings that are already in the Amazon catalog, or create your own unique listings. When customers purchase products from your Amazon listings, they'll complete their orders on Amazon and you'll see them in your store's orders page.
Integration with eBay
BigCommerce enables you to sell to eBay customers directly from your control panel. Listing products is quick and painless, it can be done from your BigCommerce catalog, and products are automatically updated whenever you make a change. There’s no need for manual updates, as stock syncs between the two platforms. The flow is just like your website’s, which keeps everything simple and easy to manage.
For Volusion, you just need to connect your eBay seller account to your Volusion store, and you can then create eBay listings using the products in your store. You can fulfill and ship all your orders – from your store and from eBay – directly from the “Review & Process Orders” page in your admin Area.
Integration with Google
Google Shopping ads get your products in front of users of the world’s most popular search engine. With BigCommerce, you can be up and running in minutes with your advertising by using your BigCommerce product catalog. Use the integration to drive more qualified leads, and more importantly, only pay when shoppers actually visit your store. There is no need to separately manage a product feed, or to edit any HTML to claim your domain. You can list all your products and product options at once, and ensure that new products are added automatically. You can also edit listings directly in Google Merchant Center, and manage your campaigns in AdWords.
For Volusion, you’ll need to manage your Google integration using its API. Integration is a little more complex than with BigCommerce, and will involve submitting XML data and setting up an FTP account.
Time to Connect
Integrating the platforms starts with having an account on the various stores, be it eBay, Amazon, or Google.
For Amazon integration, set up is as follows:
1. Go to “Channel Manager,” then click “Get Started” next to Amazon.
2. Scroll down and check each box to indicate you’ve completed the necessary seller central requirements, then click “Get Started.”
3. Review the “Things You Should Know” popup, then click “Connect to Amazon.”
4. You'll be forwarded to Amazon.com to sign into your seller central account. Once logged in, review the Amazon MWS license agreement, check the boxes, then click “Next.”
5. Click “continue” to authorize BigCommerce and return to the BigCommerce control panel When you're done, click “Finish Setup.”
1. In your Volusion admin area, go to “Marketing,” then “Sell on Amazon.”
2. Click “Go to Amazon.”
3. Log in to your Amazon account, then accept the Amazon MWS license and authorize your Volusion store to use your Amazon seller account.
4. When you're done, click “Continue” to go back to Volusion.
For eBay integration, set up is as follows:
1. Go to “Channel Manager,” and select eBay.
2. Then, go to “How to Get Started,” confirm your shipping and payment settings are compatible, click “Get Started,” then “Connect to eBay.”
3. You'll be asked to sign in to your eBay account. Once this is done, review eBay’s application access information and click “Agree” to grant BigCommerce permission to publish and edit listings on your behalf. After you agree, you’ll be sent to your BigCommerce control panel to finish setting up your new eBay channel. When you're done, click “Finish Setup”
To list your products on eBay, you’ll need to change your eBay account preferences to allow access from your Volusion store.
1. Click “Go to eBay.”
2. Read eBay's terms and click “I Agree.” You’ll be automatically redirected back to your Volusion admin area. Once your store has been granted access to your eBay seller account, you can begin creating product listings.
For Google integration, set up is as follows:
1. Connect to your merchant center account or create a new one right in the app.
2. Verify and claim your website URL.
3. Your products will begin syncing immediately.
4. BigCommerce will build your feed for you, and return any errors/issues in the reporting.
1. In your admin area, go to “Inventory,” and then “Import/Export.”
2. Select the “Volusion API” tab.
3. In the Google section, click “Google Shopping Feed.”
4. Enter the FTP username, password, and file name.
5. Enter a title and description for your Google merchant center export into the corresponding fields on the page, then click “Generate XML,” and “Publish to Google.”
Creating A Product Listing
Both BigCommerce and Volusion have been purpose-built, making creating new listings intuitive.
In BigCommerce, the steps are as follows:
1. Go to “Products” and then “View” and click “Storefront › Create Listing” next to the product you want to list on Amazon.
2. On the product listings details page, select “Amazon” under channels.
3. By default, your new Amazon product listing will use the same name, description, brand, and price details your product has in your BigCommerce store.
1. Choose a product from your inventory, and connect it to an existing Amazon listing.Or, if your product doesn't already exist within Amazon, you can create your own unique listing.
2. Click “Add” to create a new listing, and select a product from your inventory.
3. Enter your product's UPC, ISBN, EAN, or ASIN and click “Search.”
4. Click “Sell Yours,” enter the required details, including price and quantity, and click “List on Amazon.”
1. Go to “Products” then “View,” and click “Storefront.”
2. Click ”Create Listing,” select “eBay for Channels,” select a shipping and return policy for the listing, and click “Publish.”
1. Click “Select Product” and enter a listing title and quantity.
2. Complete the details (shipping, additional descriptions, etc.).
Tips, Limitations, Best Practices
Both of these platforms have nuances and quirks, and it’s important to know how to navigate them. Here are some tips to keep in mind when it comes to integrating your Ecommerce site:
Keep an eye on sales or special offers, and remember to set both start and end dates. There is nothing more frustrating than giving away margin on something that will sell by itself.
Know your inventory levels, and keep your system updated. Running out of inventory can result in lost customers and bad reviews.
It’s generally recommended to use one site builder store per account.
Some platforms do not send automatic order confirmation emails, so make sure this is set up on your system.
Disconnecting From a Shopping Portal
For Volusion, the flow is as follows, and it’s pretty similar for BigCommerce, too. From the marketing page, go to “Sell on Amazon:”
1. Select “Settings”, then “Activation Settings.”
2. Click “Deactivate,” then “Yes, Deactivate.”
Time to Sell
In order to harness the opportunities presented, you need the right setup. This means choosing the best Ecommerce site builder for your needs. Which is best? It depends. For businesses just starting out, Volusion offers an inexpensive starter package and quick integrations. For more established businesses, BigCommerce offers scaling, security, and more integration options. The choice is yours!